Buying & Rearing Weaned Calves
See Also: Buying Young Calves
A network of highly professional calf rearer's rear in excess of 20,000 calves a year on contract for Blade Farming.
Weaned calves arrive at the specialist calf units in large batches either from the collection centres, or direct from their farm of birth and are reared on a strict regime.
This rearing regime has been developed in consultation with Veterinary Surgeons and Ruminant Nutritional Consultants to ensure maximum calf growth rates and at the same time minimize the health challenges for the growing calves. Calves regularly achieve growth rates in excess of 1.1kg daily live-weight gain.
Calves are reared to order and are grown to a minimum of 100kgs live-weight before they are sold on to the finishing farm.
- As a buyer you will be buying the type and breed of calf of your choice at the time of year that suits your production system
- The weaned calves are reared as a group on the same regime and will have been vaccinated and dehorned. Calves are delivered with a full health history, detailing treatments and vaccinations
- Calves are sold as even bunches by weight
- Calves have had an excellent start to their lives and are growing fast. When they arrive on your unit they are ready to move onto growing and finishing diets as required
- Batches of 10 to 120 calves can be reared in the same unit, reducing the need to mix bunches of calves at the stressful time of movement to their next unit
- The rearing protocol has been designed to ensure consistency throughout the Blade units giving customers confidence when buying a Blade weaned calf
- Calves can be supplied with Electronic Identification if required. Electronic id can be used with the Blade Farmworks IT package which is available to finishers
Fill in your details and we'll call you back
Do you and your farming business have what it takes to join the Blade Farming scheme?